St. Nicholas / Immaculate Heart of Mary
100th Year Anniversary Celebrations

 

Vintage Photos of St. Nicholas School - later years
 
If you have additional information on any of the following photos, you can email the school at: ihms@ihms.mb.ca
 
 
This is the St. Nicholas School kindergarten class of 1962. These students moved into the brand new Immaculate Heart of Mary School the following year for grade 1. Their teacher, Sister Florentine, continued to teach kindergarten in the new school.

 

A senior high class posing in front of St. Nicholas School - undated.

 

This is the interior of St. Nicholas School near the front entrance, showing the stairway to the second floor. This photo was taken in 1962, and the students are gathered to greet His Grace, Archbishop-Metropolitan Maxime Hermaniuk. His Grace, who is not visible in the photo, is seated behind the Sister who is accepting a bouquet of roses on his behalf.

 

A slightly different shot of the previous photo.

 

This photo, taken from the time capsule opened on September 16, 2005, shows most of the St. Nicholas School staff from 1961-62. The caption on the back of the photo reads: "Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate. Teachers in the last term at the old school, 1961-62. Front - L to R. - Sr. Artemia, principal and teacher of grades 7&8; Sr. Cassianna, superior. Back - L to R. - Sr. Chrysantha, grades 1&2. Sr. Nicodema, grades 5&6. Sr. Emmanuel, grades 3&4."

 

This photo, taken from the time capsule opened on September 16, 2005, is a group shot the entire St. Nicholas School students and staff from 1961-62.

 

This photo, taken from the time capsule opened on September 16, 2005, shows most of the active members of the St. Nicholas School Building Committee. Inset photos of members not present when the original photo was taken were pasted on at a later date. The caption on the back says: "Group of the active members of the building committee. From L to R. - Frank Paluck; Paul Maychruk, 2nd. vice-chairman; Mrs. Walter Paschak; John Bednarski; Mrs. John Bednarski; Steven Petelycky; William Balagus; Back L to R. - Walter Paschak, campaign chairman; Walter Sahan, 1st. vice-chairman; Martin Korban; Dmytro Mazur; Stefan Ilniak. Inset - Mrs. M. Kusyk: Mrs. I. Sniatkowski; Mrs. Walter Sahan; Mrs. Krupp; Mrs. J. Michalyshyn; Mrs. Watowich.

Missing from photo - Mrs. Deputat, Mr. Deputat, Mr. Dembych, Mrs. Kuziw."

 

This photo, taken from the time capsule opened on September 16, 2005, shows the Ladies' Auxiliary of the St. Nicholas School Building Fund Committee. The caption on the back says: "From L to R. - Mrs. Martha Kuzyk; Mrs. Ann Zulak; Mrs. Joan DeLande, president; His Grace Maxime Hermaniuk; Mrs. Marge Orobko, vice-president; Mrs. Minnie Dubesky, secretary; Mrs. J. Lena Bednarski:

Back L to R. - Mrs. Olga Paschak, one of the originators of the building of a new school; Mrs. Minnie Humulka; Mrs. Jean Sahan, co-originator; Mrs. Jean Michalyshyn; Mrs. Ina Sniatkowski; Mrs. Krupp; Mrs. Mary Watowich; Mrs. Nellie Kozoris."

 

An undated photo of the St. Nicholas School lobby.

 

An undated photo of the St. Nicholas School lobby.

 

Students participating in the 1950 St. Nicholas School Junior Parliament.

 

Students participating in a Crowning of Mary ceremony in St. Nicholas Church.

 

An undated photo of a classroom in St. Nicholas School.

 

Sr. Chrysantha with her 1956-1957 grade 1 and 2 class.

 

Communion breakfast - this photo is a souvenir of a closed retreat preached March 8-10, 1953 in St. Nicholas School by S. Shewchuk O.S.B.M.

 

The St. Nicholas School graduates of 1953. The bottom photo shows them at their graduation Liturgy in the old St. Nicholas Church.

 

December 1954 photo of the St. Nicholas Choir singing Christmas carols for their distinguished guests.

 

The grade 1 and 2 classes at St. Nicholas School for the 1950 - 1951 school year. The teacher in the background is Sr. Leocadia.

 

St. Nicholas altar boys in St. Nicholas Church Hall - 1958.

 

St. Nicholas Children of Mary inside St. Nicholas Church - 1958.

 

St. Nicholas First Communion in St. Nicholas Church Hall - 1958.

 

St. Nicholas School grade 1 and 2 students - 1962.

 

St. Nicholas School grade 5 and 6 students - 1962.

 

St. Nicholas School First Communion - 1953.